What’s the Point of a Waterproof Boat Cover?
Let’s be honest: Have you ever wondered why you need a waterproof boat cover when the boat goes in the water anyway? While some people think that using a boat cover is counterintuitive, investing in the best waterproof boat cover you can afford will actually help protect your investment for the long-term.
Since an average boat costs a substantial amount of money (pontoon, bow rider, and deck boats may cost anywhere from $15,000 to $50,000), wouldn’t it be wise to use a high-quality boat cover to protect it?
If you still need some convincing and are not yet sure if you really need one, maybe this article will help you understand why a boat cover is not merely an accessory, but a necessity for all boat owners.
Do You Really Need a Waterproof Boat Cover?
The short answer is “yes”. You need a boat cover. Your boat is one of your most prized possessions, so you want to keep it in top condition, right? How do you intend to do that? Chances are, you won’t be using your boat all year round, so what will you do when you’re not using it?
Even if you’re one of the lucky few who has enough space in their garage or carport to store their beloved boat, it may not be enough. You’ll still need something to cover it up. And what if you don’t have a covered space to protect it from the elements? Will you simply leave it out in the open? Think about the many reasons that’s a poor idea.
3 Top Benefits of Using a Waterproof Boat Cover
Why do you need to invest in the best waterproof boat cover you can afford? Let us count the reasons why.
It provides ample protection against the elements. A high-quality cover protects your boat from rainwater, snow, hail, and other harsh environmental conditions that may cause tarnishing and corrosion. Leaving your boat’s interior soaking in water even for just a few days can also ruin your furniture and carpeting. Worse, if your boat doesn’t dry thoroughly, any excess moisture will encourage mold and mildew growth, which is not only unsightly and difficult to clean, but may cause skin irritation and other health issues like headaches, sinusitis, asthma, and other chronic respiratory problems.
It keeps harmful UV rays out. Using a boat cover can help reduce the negative effects of UV rays. It can prevent the boat’s interior and exterior finish from fading and prevent parts from cracking.
It keeps your boat free from dirt, dust, and debris. For most boat owners, their boat is a constant source of their pride and joy; it’s a thing of beauty that needs to be protected and preserved for years to come. However, there’s just one way to do it – cover it up when not in use.
How to Choose the Right Boat Cover
- Fit. There are three types of boat covers according to fit: custom covers, semi-custom covers, and universal covers. Of these three, custom covers provide the best fit, since they are specifically designed for your boat, but they are typically expensive and usually cannot be returned or exchanged once purchased. Universal covers are the cheapest, but they also provide the worst fit and are often made of flimsy material, rendering them unsuitable for heavy, outdoor use. If you want to strike the perfect balance between fit and price, choose a semi-custom cover and enjoy a snug, secure fit without the exorbitant tag price.
- Material. Your choice of material will depend on how you intend to use the product. As a general rule, boats that are left outdoors for most parts of the year need a higher-grade, waterproof cover made from high-quality polyester. It should be breathable enough to prevent mold and mildew growth and have a soft lining underneath to keep the exterior finish scratch-free. Keep in mind that a decent boat cover should have at least three layers.
- Workmanship. Pay special attention to the workmanship, since it can determine the durability of the product. For best results, choose a cover with ultrasonically welded seams.
- Cost. Cost is always an important consideration, so you may be tempted to solely consider covers on the basis of your budget. However, please note that the price is not the sole indication of the quality of a product. Some boat covers may be cheaper than the others because of their poor quality, while some (like those sold by Seal Skin Boat Covers) can offer the best prices because they don’t go through a middleman.
- Warranty. Choose a product that is backed by a manufacturer’s warranty. A longer warranty is definitely a good sign, since it indicates that the manufacturer puts their full trust and confidence in their product. Seal Skin offers a 10-year warranty on all its products. Doesn’t this tell you anything? Now, if you don't have a Seal Skin cover with a 10-year warranty and your boat’s waterproofing is starting to fail, you may want to follow these tips to restore it.
Find the Best Waterproof Boat Cover at Seal Skin
Experienced boaters only want the best for their precious vessel, so don’t settle for anything less. Your boat deserves nothing but the best waterproof boat cover you can afford. It deserves a Seal Skin cover!
At Seal Skin Boat Covers, we guarantee that all of our products are 100% waterproof, yet extremely breathable. We also put a premium on durability and affordability, so we only use quality, handpicked fabric and pay special attention to our workmanship. We understand how much you love your boat, so we do our best to help you get more for less.
We’re extremely confident that our products will not only meet, but surpass your expectations, so we’re not afraid to offer a 30-day return and exchange warranty with every purchase. Please feel free to call us at 800-915-0038 during our office hours (Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST) if you have any questions about our products or exchange and refund policies. We’re here to help you find the right cover for your boat, so give us a call today!